Tuesday, August 21, 2007

When Passion Becomes Obligation

I enjoy singing a lot. I love to learn new music as much as I love to perform it! I love to sing alone and in my whole choir. The whole process is just fun for me. Its my way of releasing tension, singing relaxes me. That's why I do stuff like all state and solo and ensemble competitions. I get to cram music, which is one of my favorite things to do. I hate taking 6 weeks to learn a piece. Give me two days and Ill be ready to perform it. And that's how all state camps work. We take 4 days and learn 8 pieces of music and then perform and record the concert. But in choir it will take 6 weeks to learn 3 or 4 pieces....it gets frustrating. Doing all state gives me something more interesting to work on so I don't get bored with our choir music.

Anyway, every year i have auditioned for all state and loved doing it. Learning music, the excitement of the audition, more challenging music, etc. Last year I finally made the All-State Choir. I was 3rd chair women's choir. Which basically means I was 7th in the state for my voice part. Its a really big deal to make all state. Especially as a junior because now I can do it again senior year. And I plan to. Ive been to 2 camps this summer learning the music for this years auditions. And because I was an all stater I got to go to these camps either for free or at a discounted price. That was pretty cool.

I'm not saying all this to brag. I'm saying this because it was a passion. And still is kinda. But this year I'm not doing all state because I want to anymore. I'm doing it because I'm expected to. I made it once, now I have to do it again. And on top of that, I have to do better! So now when I audition its not just nerve racking, its 10 times more pressure. It doesn't even stop here. Besides the pressure to make all state again, I have the pressure to be the best at school too. If I make a mistake or do anything wrong it's even more unacceptable. Why? Because I'm an all stater and I should be better then that.

This might seem like an over the top rant. But I really do get this from people. They expect me to be perfect, and I'm far from it. It just starts to get frustrating and draining when passion turns into obligation.

No comments: