Monday, August 13, 2007

Star Gazing

Star gazing. *sigh* Deffinately on my top 5 list of things to do with a boyfriend!!! August has one of the best meteor showers all year round. And tonight, the 12th around 1am was suposed to be the hieght of it. So two of my girlfriends and I borrowed my dads truck and drove out past the city to a dark country spot. We had so much fun. I was out from 11 to 1:30 am and saw probably close to 30 shooting stars. Being able to get away from the city lights to see thousands of beautiful stars brings me to a state of awe every time. It reminds me of how amazing God is. How could I see such amazing beautiful things and ever doubt His existance?

Tips for star gazing:
-know where to go
-BUG SPRAY...is your best friend!
-pillows and blankets
-check the sky, clouds are no good!

I think I enjoy going star gazing so much because its a really good time for me to think about stuff. Im going into my senior year in high school and that brings about alot of crazy changes. Friends are leaving me and all I have to look forward to in the future is the rest of my friends leaving me. Im staying in town, going to the university that is here where I live. While my best friends are scattering across the nation!!! Not to mention my mother is driving me up a wall!!! I have an entire year left, and it seems like we fight about my future decisions every day. Today she had an emotional break down because I mentioned wanting to move out next year. I'll be almost 19 at the time and ready to leave. She should at least be happy that I'm not leaving town! doesn't that count for anything??? I guess not. Well she also doesn't wanna pay for me to have an apartment. What she doesn't understand is that I am ok with that. I plan to get a job and pay for it. She also thinks that I plan to have this amazing apartment with all the comforts that I have now, living at home. Im not that ignorant. Honestly I know I could never aford the comfort I have now. I dont expect to live like that when Im on my own. I just want to be independant. Im sick and tired of having to ask for permission to do anything and everything. Always answering to someone else! Im a big girl, I think I can handle it. You know, 90% of college kids live that way, or worse....in a dorm!! (heaven forbid I ever do that) I think I can handle it.

So I thought alot about that tonight. Also I thought about boys alot. Im one of those girls who doesn't date alot. My standards are just to high. I refuse to settle for most of the boys my high school has to offer. Ive been "talking" to this guy I met a few weeks ago at a summer camp but I dont think that will go anywhere. My main issue is that he just lives to far away! He is close to an hour away from me. Some people can handle long distance relationships, and more power to them. But Im not one of them! Im just not mature enough for that. My last real boyfriend was close to 3 years ago. Not that i havnt dated. But if Im going to commit to someone, I have to have them near me. I cant be emotionaly attached to someone that I only get to see every other week and for a few hours. No, not for me. Sorry. He's a great guy, but zip codes.....its a problem!

Star gazing...its one of my favorite pass times...

2 comments:

Brent said...

Really good post...

And, never EVER settle for a boy. Zip codes or not. Keep your standards.

I'd heard the meteor shower was supposed to be best at around 3AM...and no meteor shower is worth me being up at that time, man.

Kelsey McKinney said...

welcome to the blogging world dear lauren!!!
i'm so glad your here.
haha. i like to think i'm a good writer. i like to thank my english teacher Mrs. Smiley for everything i have.
well girl i missed you last night. you and keila, and connor, and trey, and .... well basically everyone was gone and it was just not quite as fun.

i liked what you wrote at the bottom, you're not half bad yourself! ;)