Friday, January 25, 2008

I'M RICH!!! Who Knew?

I read an article today that was written in 2006 (so now the numbers may be slightly different). My economics teacher, also my Euro teacher, who is one of the best teachers I've had through out my education gave it to us to read. It was very interesting to me because it told me that I was among the richest of the world in many ways. In fact it went so far as to say that research indicates that a person only needs $2,200 of total net worth to be among the top half of the wealthiest people in the world. And only $61,000 to be in the top 10%.

We in America tend to compare our state of wealth with celebrities, and powerful businessmen, and Bill Gates...and because of this we sometimes view ourselves as poor, or "just middle class". But what we aren't realizing is that half of the world is living off of $2 a day! It floors me to think that at age 18, I myself am close to owning $2,200 in capital, if not there already. However, I am still completely dependant upon my parents as my main way of attaining money. And yet, I am among the richest in the world. Not to mention that my family would hit the 10% mark at least.

This article said that the three richest men in the world, Gates, Warren Buffet, and Carlos Slim Helu, each have more money than the poorest 48 nations combined!!! How does one person have more money than 48 nations??? What do they do with it?

This article just got me thinking. It got me thinking about how much I take for granted, not only the big stuff, but every day things too. It also got me thinking about how little I (or we as the wealthy half) do to spread the wealth.

I've been reading a lot in Thessalonians and John, and serventhood has come up several times. I tend to get into my grove and go about my weekly business, and I put in my service hours with Tues night, or random tasks around the house. But that is just not good enough. Yes, those things are great, but I should be constantly serving. Always searching for opportunities to spread the wealth, money or not. This leads me to another thing that has been pacing through my mind. National Honor Society at my school is holding a blood drive tomorrow. I really really really do not want to do it, because I do not like needles. But lately God has really put it on my heart to go through with it. I am in great health and I am "rich" in blood, but so many people out there are not. It is selfish of me to let my fear stop me from serving those people. We all should be looking out for ways that we can share our wealth regardless of what form of wealth we are talking about.

So look out for my next blog featuring my first experience ever with the removal of blood from my body.

No comments: