Thursday, August 28, 2008

On My 1st Day of College

On my first day of college, I learned how to eat with chop sticks. Seriously, I went to pei wei for the first time to eat lunch and a friend made me do it. I don't know for sure why that is significant to me, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the very first thing I learned during my college experience has NOTHING to do with book knowledge. Instead it has everything to do with practical life experience however small and insignificant. In fact these past couple of days of this new higher education I haven't really learned anything of collegiate substance; just merely reminded of what I already knew. Now I don't have an unrealistic notion that I wont learn anything in school, that's not the case at all. I am simply just observing these first few days. But while I have spent the last 84 hours or so as a college student I have experienced things I never have before, and through these experiences I have learned alot about myself, life, and what I want from it. Interesting how just being presented with the "college life" can make you so aware of what's going on around you, and what you just might learn from it. So here's to chop sticks, and college.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Long after you've forgotten the subtle nuances of Shakespeare or the importance of the Tet Offensive or quantum physics, you'll remember how to eat with chopsticks.

The best lessons you'll learn at university are always social & practical.